Pick a Room to Explore

Sunday, December 27, 2020

New Day Care Provider Checklist


I get a lot of email asking for a list of things to get started in daycare.  Because the needs of each child care is unique, state licensing requirements are different in various areas, and there's a different set of needs if you have toddlers than if you have 4-year-olds, it's impossible to have a "Standard List" that suits everyone.  This is a guideline to get you started.

Research Before You Begin

*Keep in constant prayer about your decision and for provision.

*Discuss Daycare with your family.  This will mean they will have to share their space AND their Mom (and/or Dad).

*Research your state daycare regulations.  You can start with this resource from National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care

*Find other daycare providers in your area and ask them for advice.

*Contact your local Child And Adult Care Food Program.

Caring For Infants & Young Toddlers

changing table
playpen
high chair
bouncy seat
battery operated baby swing
rechargeable batteries & charger
baby saucer
rattles & chewy toys
stacking & nesting toys
dolls
board books
bibs
bottles
sippy cups

Caring For Toddlers & Twos


changing table
playpen
high chair
bibs
sippy cups
potty chair
potty seat
simple art supplies


Caring For Any Ages

General Toys (stick with classic stuff):  books, cars, Legos, soft toys, blacks, dolls, dishes, rattles, etc.

Outdoor Toys:  balls, slides, push toys, trucks, sand/dirt play toys, etc.

wash clothes for little faces
time out spot
child-size plates, forks, spoons, etc.
sleeping mats or cots
blankets, pillows, sheets
gates to keep kids in an area
carpet sweeper & good vacuum
cordless phone and/or cell phone
answering machine or voice mail
small table & chairs

spray bottle filled with white vinegar (use to clean counters, tables, high chairs, etc.)

spray bottle with 25 drops of lavender oil (essential oil at health food store) and water, use before nap on bedding and in room for calming

Office Supplies

A file cabinet or a file box
Folders or files
Business Cards: Vista Print
Daycare Software
Handbook, policies, and forms


Keep In Mind

I didn't start out with all the equipment at once and I didn't need it all at once, either. It was worth it for me to just find the equipment at the thrift stores and yard sales. Until I got the stuff I needed at a good price, I asked the parents to bring their own play pens, swings, etc. This was nice because I got to try out different brands of stuff and look for what I really liked.

I used to think I needed 2 or 3 exersaucers and bouncy seats. But I found out I don't because I rotate the infants from one thing to the other. I did have 2 of each of these things and it just cluttered up the space, so I sold them and have been very happy since.